meaning the city of diamonds, is an old town with
a long period of history. Its name was recorded as a province
on early stone scriptures of the Sukhothai era. Foreign accounts
tell us that first king of the Ayutthaya era governed Phetchaburi
before founding Ayutthaya as the capital of Siam. Even earlier
archeological records indicate that the city dates back to
the Khmer and Dvaravati periods.
Ayutthaya era (1350-1767), Phetchaburi prospered as an important
harbor town and a gateway to the southern provinces. In the
later Rattanakosin era, Phetchaburi became a favorite destination
of the Chakri kings. King Rama IV visited the province several
times when he was a monk, and King Rama VI stayed at Ban Puen
Palace for a lengthy sojourn.
has been known by many names in the past, Phripphri, Phripphli
or Phetchaphli, to name a few. It may have been named after
the Indian style common in those days, such as Ayothaya, Kanchanaburi
and Suwannaphum. It is also believed that the name Phetchaburi
might have originated from the Phetch River, the main lifeline
of this province.
Back to Top