Khiri Khan’s modern history dates back to the Ayutthaya era
when it was known as ‘Bang Nangrom’ or ‘Muang Na Rang’. Its
original location is not clear as few artifacts remain from
that time, the result of destruction and looting at the hands
of invading Burmese. To this day, no proof exists of the town’s
Khan—Na Rang or Bang Nangrom as it was known at the time,
was a dependency of Ayutthaya, the capital of Siam, and an
important stopover on the route to the south. The area’s ‘Khao
Sam Roi Yot’ or ‘300 Mountain Peaks’ was well known among
sailors at the time as a navigational marker.
In the later
Ratanakosin era, during the reign of King Mongkut (Rama IV),
‘Wah Kor’, a sub-district of Prachuab Khiri Khan, became noted
as a site of astrological importance. The king, an enthusiastic
scientist and astronomer, predicted that Wah Kor would be
the best place to witness the total eclipse of the sun on
August 18, 1868.
1894, during the reign of King Rama V, Bang Bangrom, Kui Buri
and Klong Warn were combined to form a new town called Prachuab
Khiri Khan. Later, in 1898, its district office was moved
to Luk Island at Prachuab Bay. At that time, both Prachuab
Khiri Khan and Pran Buri were districts of Phetchaburi province.
the reign of the next king, Rama VI, Pran Buri was renamed
Prachuab Khiri Khan and made a province in its own right.
8, 1941, Prachuab Khiri Khan was chosen as the point of entry
into Thailand by the Japanese invasion force. Japanese troops
landed at Manao Bay, a small, sheltered haven just a few kilometers
from the provincial capital, sparking Thailand’s entry into
the Second World War.
Back to Top